SEI Dome Bakers Rack, Black
The SEI Dome Bakers’ Rack may be small in comparison with other bakers’ racks but it’s just as beautiful in style, durable in its construction, and practical in its design. This is proof that, indeed, small can be terrible, too, but in a good way.
Aside from its obvious use in the kitchen, this bakers’ rack can also be used as a small bar, a mini-garden showcase, and an office storage area.
Such versatility can be attributed to its compact dimensions, adequate storage area including the shelves and nesting baskets, and attractive design.
Features and Specifications
Of course, any bakers’ rack worth its price should be made of strong and sturdy materials. In the case of the SEI dome bakers’ rack, the solid metal tubes for the frame and the medium-density fibreboard (MDF) for the workspace meet these standards.
The solid metal tubes should withstand years of use, even when the bakers’ rack has relatively heavy objects placed and hanged on it. But since it’s still subject to rust and corrosion, proper care is still a must. Be sure to regularly check the tubes for these signs of damage and apply anti-rust spray treatment, if necessary.
Even the countertop has a sturdy quality to it, a must considering that it can be used as a workspace and storage area, too. The workspace, by the way, has a light cherry stain that gives it the appearance of a hardwood butcher block countertop. This is made of medium-density fibreboard (MDF), an engineered wood product made of hardwood or softwood residuals, wax, and resin binder.
MDF has several benefits aside from being a more affordable option than solid wood. These include greater strength than particleboard, as well as consistency in its size and strength, a stable quality (i.e., will not expand and contract like wood), and little to no tendency to split (i.e., isotropic). The engineered wood is also easy to finish, particularly paint.
But MDF also has its drawbacks that buyers should be aware of. Low-quality MDF will likely swell and break after water saturation, as well as warp and expand when it hasn’t been properly sealed. The board will also significantly shrink in low humidity environments.
For these reasons, you have to ensure that the workspace shouldn’t be saturated with water and placed in a low humidity area. Otherwise, you will likely find the entire unit not as beautiful and functional anymore, no thanks to a damaged countertop.
A few suggestions for use of the SEI Dome Bakers’ Rack are in the kitchen, living room, and patio (i.e., under the roof only). You can display and store a wide range of items on it, such as:
- Spices, condiments and cooking utensils in the kitchen
- Pots and pans, dishes and glassware, and one or two small kitchen appliances in the kitchen
- Ornamental objects like knick-knacks as well as books, journals and the like in the living room or bedroom
Despite its compact size, the bakers’ rack can actually accommodate several items, thanks to the multiple storage areas.
Your practical and ornamental items can be stored and displayed here:
- Six utility hooks, which can be removed and replaced anywhere on the frame. You can hang towels, fruits (e.g., bananas), and spices (e.g., bunches of rosemary, sage and the like) on them.
- Two adjustable basket shelves for various items like fruits and vegetables, kitchen utensils, and spice containers.
- Two full-sized wire shelves below the countertop for larger items, such as a small kitchen appliance (e.g., microwave), pots and pans, and dishes
- A 5-bottle wine rack holder because you may just want to have a few bottle handy for cooking and drinking as is.
Even the countertop can be used as a display and storage area, too. Again, be careful about placing items that can result in water saturation on the MDF lest it prematurely breaks. Be sure to use a clean dry cloth in mopping up stains and spills, too – and wipe it clean ASAP.
When assembled, the bakers’ rack has the following dimensions:
- Height – 68 inches
- Width – 25.75 inches
- Depth – 17 inches
The countertop measures 23.75 x 15.75 x 30.75 inches (from floor). The shelves measure 23 x 16.25 x 10.5 inches while the baskets measure 11.5 x 4.75 x 2.5 inches.
The unit weighs in at a hefty 41 pounds so it makes sense to assemble it near the area where it will be eventually positioned. When fully assembled, the counterpart can support up to 40 pounds, each shelf up to 20 pounds, and each nesting basket up to 15 pounds.
Tip: Even with these weight limits, we suggest avoidance of overloading. This is a bakers’ rack, not a heavy-duty pallet.
The SEI Dome Bakers’ Rack has the following advantages:
- Made of strong and sturdy solid metal tubes and MDF
- Plenty of storage and display spaces in the nesting baskets, hooks, shelves, and countertop
- Stable construction, when properly assembled
- Attractive design
The SEI Dome Bakers’ Rack has its share of issues, too:
- The MDF can easily be damaged from water saturation and exposure to low humidity environments
- The rack doesn’t come with plastic liners and rubber coasters for added stability
- The assembly takes time because many of the holes don’t line up
The SEI Dome Bakers’ Rack is an affordable product that still delivers on good quality. This is a great choice for people who have limited spaces in their homes, thanks to its compact dimensions, ample storage space, and wine rack.
Get this bakers’ rack and add more space in your home, as well as add a touch of class wherever you may place it. But be aware of the proper care measures for the MDF so that the unit can last longer.